labial(redirected from labialises)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the lips or labia.
2. Linguistics Articulated mainly by closing or partly closing the lips, as the sounds (b), (m), or (w).
1. Linguistics A labial consonant.
2. Music See flue1.
1. (Anatomy) of, relating to, or near lips or labia
2. (Music, other) music producing sounds by the action of an air stream over a narrow liplike fissure, as in a flue pipe of an organ
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics relating to a speech sound whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips: a labial click.
4. (Music, other) music Also called: labial pipe an organ pipe with a liplike fissure
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a speech sound such as English p or m, whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips
[C16: from Medieval Latin labiālis, from Latin labium lip]
la•bi•al(ˈleɪ bi əl)
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a labium.
2. of or pertaining to the lips.
3. (of a speech sound) articulated using one or both lips, as the sounds (p), (v), (m), (w), or (o̅o̅).n.
4. a labial speech sound, esp. a consonant.
[1585–95; < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||labial - a consonant whose articulation involves movement of the lips|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
bilabial - a consonant that is articulated using both lips; /p/ or /b/ or /w/
labial stop - a stop consonant that is produced with the lips
|Adj.||1.||labial - of or relating to the lips of the mouth; "labial stops"|
|2.||labial - relating to or near the female labium|
a. labial, rel. a los labios;
___ branches of mental nerve → ramas labiales del nervio mentoniano;
___ glands → glándulas labiales;
___ hernia → hernia ___;
___ occlusion → oclusión ___;
___ splint → férula ___;
___ veins → venas labiales.