Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. The final statement in a verbal argument.
a. A conclusive or authoritative statement or treatment: The report was considered to be the last word on the hazards of smoking.
b. Power or authority of ultimate decision: The treasurer has the last word in all financial matters.
3. Informal The newest or most fashionable example of its kind; the latest thing: a food processor that is the last word in kitchen equipment.
1. the closing remark or comment, as in an argument.
2. a final or definitive work, statement, etc.: This book is the last word on the topic.
3. the latest, most modern thing.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||last word - the final statement in a verbal argument; "she always gets the last word"|
|2.||last word - an authoritative statement; "my doctor has the last word on the medicines I take"|
authority - an authoritative written work; "this book is the final authority on the life of Milton"
|3.||last word - elegance by virtue of being fashionable|
elegance - a refined quality of gracefulness and good taste; "she conveys an aura of elegance and gentility"