Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The base or platform from which a rocket or space vehicle is launched.
2. A foundation or starting point.
launch pador launching pad
1. (Astronautics) a platform from which a spacecraft, rocket, etc, is launched
2. an effective starting point for a career, enterprise, or campaign
(or launch′ing) pad` or launch′pad`,
1. the platform on which a rocket, missile, etc., is launched.
2. something that serves to launch or initiate.
A concrete or other hard surface area on which a missile launcher is positioned.