launching(redirected from launchings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
launch 1(lônch, länch)
v. launched, launch·ing, launch·es
a. To throw or propel with force; hurl: launch a spear.
b. To set or thrust (a self-propelled craft or projectile) in motion: launch a rocket; launch a torpedo.
2. Nautical To put (a boat) into the water in readiness for use.
3. To set going; initiate: launch a career; launch a business venture. See Synonyms at begin.
4. To introduce to the public or to a market: launched the new perfume with prime-time commercials on the major networks.
5. To give (someone) a start, as in a career or vocation.
1. To begin a new venture or phase; embark: launch forth on a dangerous mission; launched out on her own after college.
2. To enter enthusiastically into something; plunge: launched into a description of the movie.
The act of launching.
[Middle English launchen, from Old North French lancher, from Latin lanceāre, to wield a lance, from lancea, lance; see lance.]
launch 2(lônch, länch)
1. A large ship's boat.
2. A large, open motorboat.
[Alteration (possibly influenced by launch) of Early Modern English lanch, ultimately (possibly partly via Spanish lancha) from Portuguese lancha, perhaps alteration of lancara, a kind of small swift Asian oared boat, from Malay lancaran : lancar, swift + -an, nominalizing suffix.]
another name for launch111
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||launching - the act of moving a newly built vessel into the water for the first time|
|2.||launching - the act of beginning something new; "they looked forward to the debut of their new product line"|
commencement, start, beginning - the act of starting something; "he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
induction - the act of bringing about something (especially at an early time); "the induction of an anesthetic state"
product introduction - the introduction (usually by an advertising campaign) of a new product or product line
ushering in - the introduction of something new; "it signalled the ushering in of a new era"
|3.||launching - the act of propelling with force|
[ship, plane] → lancement m
[product, campaign, project] → lancement mlaunching pad n