Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lava: Lava lamp
1. Molten rock that reaches the earth's surface through a volcano or fissure.
2. The rock formed by the cooling and solidifying of molten rock.
[Italian, perhaps from Latin lābēs, fall, from Latin lābī, to fall.]
Word History: Appropriately, lava was named by people living near Mount Vesuvius. The only active volcano on the European mainland, Vesuvius has erupted frequently since Pompeii and Herculaneum were buried by it in ad 79. The Neapolitans who lived in the vicinity took the Italian word lava, meaning "a stream caused suddenly by rain," and applied it to the streams of molten rock coming down the sides of Vesuvius. The term was then taken into Standard Italian, where it came to mean the rock in both its molten and its solidified states. The Italian word was borrowed into English around the middle of the 18th century.
1. (Geological Science) magma emanating from volcanoes and other vents
2. (Geological Science) any extrusive igneous rock formed by the cooling and solidification of molten lava
[C18: from Italian (Neapolitan dialect), from Latin lavāre to wash]
la•va(ˈlɑ və, ˈlæv ə)
1. the molten, fluid rock that issues from a volcano or volcanic vent.
2. the rock formed when this solidifies, occurring in many structurally different varieties.
[1740–50; < Italian, orig. Neapolitan dial.: avalanche « Latin lābēs a sliding down, falling]
1. Molten rock that flows from a volcano or from a crack in the Earth. See more at magma.
2. The igneous rock formed when this substance cools and hardens.
Molten rock when it appears at the Earth’s surface.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lava - rock that in its molten form (as magma) issues from volcanos; lava is what magma is called when it reaches the surface|
aa - a dry form of lava resembling clinkers
pahoehoe - freely flowing lava
pillow lava - lava that hardened in rounded shapes suggestive of pillows; believed to result from underwater eruptions
volcanic rock - extrusive igneous rock solidified near or on the surface of the Earth
حِمَمٌ بُرْكَانِيَّةٌحُمَم بُرْكانيَّه
n → Lava f; lava bed → Lavadecke f
lava[ˈlɑːvə] n → lava
liquid, melted rock etc thrown out from a volcano and becoming solid as it cools. lawa حُمَم بُرْكانيَّه лава lava láva die Lava lava λάβαlava laava گدازه laava laveלבה लावा, ज्वालामुखी से निकलने वाला गाढ़ा जलता हुआ द्रव्य lava láva lahar hraun(kvika) lava 溶岩 용암 lava lava lava lavalavalawa ويلى شوى ،اوبه شوى lava lavă лава láva lava lava lava ลาวา lav 熔岩 лава آتش فشاں چٹانوں سے ابلنے والا مادہ dung nham 熔岩