Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to laxation: laxity, lactation, relaxation
adj. lax·er, lax·est
1. Lacking in rigor, strictness, or firmness. See Synonyms at negligent.
2. Not taut, firm, or compact; slack. See Synonyms at loose.
3. Loose and not easily retained or controlled. Used of bowel movements.
4. Linguistics Pronounced with the muscles of the tongue and jaw relatively relaxed, as the vowel (ĕ) in let.
1. the act of making lax or the state of being lax
2. (Physiology) physiol defecation
[C14: from Latin laxātio, from laxāre to slacken]
1. a loosening or relaxing.
2. the state of being loosened or relaxed.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin laxātiō loosening]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||laxation - the elimination of fecal waste through the anus|
excreting, excretion, voiding, elimination, evacuation - the bodily process of discharging waste matter
haematochezia, hematochezia - passage of stools containing blood (as from diverticulosis or colon cancer or peptic ulcer)
|2.||laxation - the act of making something less tight|
unfastening, untying, undoing - loosening the ties that fasten something; "the tying of bow ties is an art; the untying is easy"