Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A composite organism made up of a fungus, usually an ascomycete, that grows symbiotically with an alga or a cyanobacterium and characteristically forms a crustlike or branching growth on rocks or tree trunks.
2. Medicine Any of various skin diseases characterized by patchy eruptions of small, firm papules.
tr.v. li·chened, li·chen·ing, li·chens
To cover with lichens.
[Latin līchēn, a kind of plant, from Greek leikhēn, from leikhein, to lick; see leigh- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Plants) an organism that is formed by the symbiotic association of a fungus and an alga or cyanobacterium and occurs as crusty patches or bushy growths on tree trunks, bare ground, etc. Lichens are now classified as a phylum of fungi (Mycophycophyta)
2. (Pathology) pathol any of various eruptive disorders of the skin
[C17: via Latin from Greek leikhēn, from leikhein to lick]
ˈlichenous, ˈlichenˌose adj
1. any complex organism of the group Lichenes, composed of a fungus in symbiotic union with an alga, most commonly forming crusty patches on rocks and trees.
2. any of various eruptive skin diseases.v.t.
3. to cover with or as if with lichens.
[1595–1605; < Latin līchēn < Greek leichḗn]
An organism that consists of a fungus and an alga living together in a symbiotic relationship. The alga supplies nutrients by photosynthesis, while the fungus shades the alga from excessive sunlight and supplies water by absorbing water vapor from the air. Lichens often live on rocks and tree bark and can thrive in extreme environments, such as mountaintops and the polar regions.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lichen - any of several eruptive skin diseases characterized by hard thick lesions grouped together and resembling lichens growing on rocks|
|2.||lichen - any thallophytic plant of the division Lichenes; occur as crusty patches or bushy growths on tree trunks or rocks or bare ground etc.|
division Lichenes, Lichenes - comprising the lichens which grow symbiotically with algae; sometimes treated as an independent group more or less coordinate with algae and fungi
ascolichen - a lichen in which the fungus component is an ascomycete
basidiolichen - a lichen in which the fungus component is a basidiomycete
lecanora - any lichen of the genus Lecanora; some used in dyeing; some used for food
horsehair lichen, horsetail lichen - any of several lichens of the genus Alectoria having a thallus consisting of filaments resembling hair
arctic moss, Cladonia rangiferina, reindeer lichen, reindeer moss - an erect greyish branching lichen of Arctic and even some north temperate regions constituting the chief food for reindeer and caribou and sometimes being eaten by humans
crotal, crottal, crottle - any of several lichens of the genus Parmelia from which reddish brown or purple dyes are made
Cetraria islandica, Iceland lichen, Iceland moss - lichen with branched flattened partly erect thallus that grows in mountainous and Arctic regions; used as a medicine or food for humans and livestock; a source of glycerol
fungus - an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter; ranging from unicellular or multicellular organisms to spore-bearing syncytia
lichen[ˈlaɪkən] N → liquen m
lichen[ˈlaɪkən ˈlɪtʃən] n → lichen m
n → Flechte f
lichen[ˈlaɪkən] n → lichene m
lichen(ˈlaikən) , (ˈlitʃən) noun
any of a large group of tiny plants which grow over stones, trees etc. houtswam, klipmos حَزاز صَخْر лишей líquen lišejník die Flechte lav λειχήναlíquen samblik گلسنگ jäkälä lichenחזזית लाइकेन lišaj zuzmó kerakap flétta, skóf lichene 地衣類 지의류(地衣類) kerpė ķērpis liken korstmoslavporost هغه ګلونه چى په ډبروراشنه كيږى líquen lichen лишайник lišajník lišaj lišaj lav เห็ดรา liken 地衣, 苔蘚 лишайник چھڑیلا، اشنہ، ایک قسم کی کائی địa y 地衣，青苔，苔藓
n. liquen, lesiones o erupciones de la piel no contagiosas de forma papular;
atrophic sclerotic ___ → ___ esclerotico atrófico;
___ scrofulosorum → ___ escrofularia;
___ planus → ___ plano;
___ urticatus → ___ de urticaria;
ulcerative ___ → ___ ulcerativo.