Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The course of developmental changes through which an organism passes from its inception through the stage at which it reproduces.
2. A progression through a series of differing stages of development: the life cycle of a star.
3. The span of a product's existence from its initial development through the period of marketing and active use to eventual obsolescence.
(Biology) the series of changes occurring in an animal or plant between one development stage and the identical stage in the next generation
1. the sequence of developmental changes undergone by an organism from one primary form, as a gamete, to the recurrence of the same form in the next generation.
2. a series of stages, as childhood and middle age, that characterize the course of existence of an individual, group, or culture.
The series of changes in the growth and development of an organism from its beginning as an independent life form to its mature state in which offspring are produced. In simple organisms, such as bacteria, the life cycle begins when an organism is produced by fission and ends when that organism in turn divides into two new ones. In more complex organisms, the life cycle starts with the fusion of reproductive cells and ends when that organism produces its own reproductive cells, which then may go on to reproduce.
The total phases through which an item passes from the time it is initially developed until the time it is either consumed in use or disposed of as being excess to all known materiel requirements.
The sequence of events between the start of one generation and the start of the next.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||life cycle - a series of stages through which an organism passes between recurrences of a primary stage|
organic phenomenon - (biology) a natural phenomenon involving living plants and animals
|2.||life cycle - the course of developmental changes in an organism from fertilized zygote to maturity when another zygote can be produced|
growing, growth, ontogenesis, ontogeny, maturation, development - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"