Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Blood regarded as essential for life.
2. An indispensable or vital part: Capable workers are the lifeblood of the business.
1. (Biology) the blood, considered as vital to sustain life
2. the essential or animating force
1. the blood, considered as essential to maintain life.
2. a life-giving, vital, or animating element: Agriculture is the lifeblood of the country.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lifeblood - the blood considered as the seat of vitality|
blood - the fluid (red in vertebrates) that is pumped through the body by the heart and contains plasma, blood cells, and platelets; "blood carries oxygen and nutrients to the tissues and carries away waste products"; "the ancients believed that blood was the seat of the emotions"
|2.||lifeblood - an essential or life-giving force; "water is the lifeblood of India"|
force - a powerful effect or influence; "the force of his eloquence easily persuaded them"