Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lingual: lingula, lingual artery, lingual gyrus
1. Of, relating to, or situated near the tongue or a tonguelike organ.
2. Linguistics Pronounced with the tongue in conjunction with other organs of speech.
3. Of languages; linguistic: lingual diversity.
A sound, such as (t), (l), and (n), that is pronounced with the tongue and other organs of speech.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to the tongue or a part or structure resembling a tongue
a. rare of or relating to language or languages
b. (in combination): polylingual.
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) articulated with the tongue
(Phonetics & Phonology) a lingual consonant, such as Scots (r)
1. of or pertaining to the tongue or some tonguelike part.
2. pertaining to languages.
3. articulated with the aid of the tongue, esp. the tip of the tongue, as the sound (d) or (n).n.
4. a lingual speech sound.
[1350–1400; Middle English: tongue-shaped surgical instrument < Medieval Latin linguālis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lingual - a consonant that is produced with the tongue and other speech organs|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
|Adj.||1.||lingual - consisting of or related to language; "linguistic behavior"; "a linguistic atlas"; "lingual diversity"|
|2.||lingual - pertaining to or resembling or lying near the tongue; "lingual inflammation"; "the lingual surface of the teeth"|