Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various short-horned grasshoppers that sometimes migrate in immense swarms, devouring vegetation and crops.
2. A cicada, especially a periodical cicada.
a. Any of several trees of the pea family bearing long pods, especially the black locust, honey locust, and carob.
b. The wood of any of these trees.
[Middle English, from Old French locuste, from Latin locusta. Sense 3a, probably from the resemblance of a carob pod to a grasshopper and the use of both as subsistence food in drier regions of the Near East.]
1. (Animals) any of numerous orthopterous insects of the genera Locusta, Melanoplus, etc, such as L. migratoria, of warm and tropical regions of the Old World, which travel in vast swarms, stripping large areas of vegetation. See also grasshopper1 Compare seventeen-year locust
2. (Plants) Also called: locust tree or false acacia a North American leguminous tree, Robinia pseudoacacia, having prickly branches, hanging clusters of white fragrant flowers, and reddish-brown seed pods
3. (Plants) the yellowish durable wood of this tree
4. (Plants) any of several similar trees, such as the honey locust and carob
[C13 (the insect): from Latin locusta locust; applied to the tree (C17) because the pods resemble locusts]
1. Also called short-horned grasshopper. any of several grasshoppers of the family Acrididae, having short antennae and commonly migrating in swarms that strip the vegetation from large areas.
2. any of various cicadas, as the seventeen-year locust.
3. any North American tree of the genus Robinia, of the legume family, esp. R. pseudoacacia, having pinnate leaves and clusters of fragrant white flowers.
4. the durable wood of this tree.
5. any of various other trees, as the carob and the honey locust.
[1150–1200; Middle English < Latin locusta grasshopper]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||locust - migratory grasshoppers of warm regions having short antennae|
Locusta migratoria, migratory locust - Old World locust that travels in vast swarms stripping large areas of vegetation
migratory grasshopper - serious pest of grain-growing and range areas of central and western United States
|2.||locust - hardwood from any of various locust trees|
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|3.||locust - any of various hardwood trees of the family Leguminosae|
Fabaceae, family Fabaceae, family Leguminosae, legume family, Leguminosae, pea family - a large family of trees, shrubs, vines, and herbs bearing bean pods; divided for convenience into the subfamilies Caesalpiniaceae; Mimosaceae; Papilionaceae
courbaril, Hymenaea courbaril - West Indian locust tree having pinnate leaves and panicles of large white or purplish flowers; yields very hard tough wood
locust - hardwood from any of various locust trees
Gleditsia aquatica, swamp locust, water locust - honey locust of swamps and bottomlands of southern United States having short oval pods; yields dark heavy wood
Gleditsia triacanthos, honey locust - tall usually spiny North American tree having small greenish-white flowers in drooping racemes followed by long twisting seed pods; yields very hard durable reddish-brown wood; introduced to temperate Old World
Robinia pseudoacacia, yellow locust, black locust - large thorny tree of eastern and central United States having pinnately compound leaves and drooping racemes of white flowers; widely naturalized in many varieties in temperate regions
clammy locust, Robinia viscosa - small rough-barked locust of southeastern United States having racemes of pink flowers and glutinous branches and seeds
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
n → Heuschrecke f
a type of large insect of the grasshopper family, found in Africa and Asia, which moves in very large groups and destroys growing crops by eating them. sprinkaan جَرادَه، جَراد скакалец gafanhoto kobylka die Heuschrecke græshoppe ακρίδαlangosta rändrohutirts ملخ kulkusirkka sauterelleארבה टिड्डी skakavac sáska belalang engispretta locusta ばった 메뚜기 skėrys sisenis belalang juta sprinkhaangresshoppeszarańcza ملخ gafanhoto lăcustă саранча kobylka kobilica skakavac gräshoppa ตั๊กแตนขนิดหนึ่งมีหนวดสั้น çekirge 蝗蟲 сарана ٹڈی châu chấu 蝗虫