Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
lode·staralso load·star (lōd′stär′)
1. A star, such as Polaris, that is used as a point of navigational reference.
2. A principle, interest, or person that serves as a guide.
[Middle English lodesterre : lode, way; see lode + sterre, star; see star.]
1. (Navigation) a star, esp the North Star, used in navigation or astronomy as a point of reference
2. something that serves as a guide or model
[C14: literally, guiding star. See lode]
1. a star that shows the way.
3. something that serves as a guide or on which the attention is fixed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lodestar - guiding star; a star that is used as a reference point in navigation or astronomy|
star - (astronomy) a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior
|2.||lodestar - something that serves as a model or guide|