Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lordosis: cervical lordosis
n. pl. lor·do·ses (-sēz)
1. An abnormal forward curvature of the spine in the lumbar region.
2. The mating posture displayed by female rodents and certain other mammals, in which the back is arched downward and the hindquarters are raised.
[Greek lordōsis, from lordos, bent backward.]
lor·dot′ic (-dŏt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Pathology) pathol forward curvature of the lumbar spine: congenital or caused by trauma or disease. Nontechnical name: hollow-back Compare kyphosis, scoliosis
2. (Zoology) zoology concave arching of the back occurring in many female animals during sexual stimulation
[C18: New Latin from Greek lordōsis, from lordos bent backwards]
1. an abnormal forward curvature of the spine, resulting in a swaybacked posture. Compare kyphosis, scoliosis.
2. a posture assumed by some female mammals during mating, in which the back arches downward.
[1695–1705; < Greek lórdōsis < lordō-, variant s. of lordoûn to bend back]
lor•dot′ic (-ˈdɒt ɪk) adj.
any abnormal curvature of the bones, especially forward curvature of the spine, resulting in a hollow in the back. — lordotic, adj.See also: Body, Human, Bones
Abnormal inward curvature of the lower spine.
n. lordosis, curva exagerada; aumento exagerado hacia adelante de la concavidad de la columna lumbar.