|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
5,169,085,791 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
n pl -teries
1. (Group Games / Games, other than specified) a method of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving a proportion of the money raised to holders of numbers drawn at random
2. (Group Games / Games, other than specified) a similar method of raising money in which players select a small group of numbers out of a larger group printed on a ticket. If a player's selection matches some or all of the numbers drawn at random the player wins a proportion of the prize fund
3. an activity or endeavour the success of which is regarded as a matter of fate or luck
[from Old French loterie, from Middle Dutch loterije. See lot]
lot•ter•y (ˈlɒt ə ri)
n., pl. -ter•ies.
1. a gambling game or method of raising money in which a large number of tickets are sold and a drawing is held for prizes.
2. a drawing of lots.
3. any happening or process that is or appears to be determined by chance: Life is a lottery.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
lottery [ˈlɒtərɪ] N → lotería f
lottery [ˈlɒtəri] n
lottery (ˈlotəri) – plural ˈlotteries – noun
lottery [ˈlɒtərɪ] n → lotteria
the sharing out of money or prizes won by chance, through drawing lots. They held a public lottery in aid of charity. lotery يانصيب лотария loteria loterie die Lotterie lotteri λαχειοφόρος αγορά lotería loterii بخت آزمایی lotto loterie לוֹטוֹ लाटरी lutrija lottó undian happdrætti lotteria くじ 복권 loterija loterija loteri loterij lotteri, utlodning loteria لاترى lotaria loterie лотерея lotéria loterija lutrija lotteri สลากกินแบ่ง piyango 抽獎 лотерея قمار بازی xổ số 彩券，抽彩给奖法
lottery → يانصيب loterie lotteri Lotterie λοταρία lotería arpajaiset loterie lutrija lotteria 宝くじ 복권 loterij lotteri loteria lotaria, loteria лотерея lotteri สลากกินแบ่ง piyango sổ xố 六合彩
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
These are indeed to be considered as blanks in the grand lottery of time.
Phillips protested that they would have a nice comfortable noisy game of lottery tickets, and a little bit of hot supper afterwards.
The persistent servant went on to relate that De Guiche had just invented a new game of lottery, and was teaching it to the ladies.
Lotsoff Capital Management
Lotsy, Jan Paulus
Lott, Chester Trent
Lotteries and Gaming Authority
Lotteries Fund Advisory Committee
lotteryLottery & Wagering Solutions, Inc.
Lottery Commissions Benchmarking Association
Lottery Pool Manager
Lottery Power Picks
Lottery Random System Selection
Lottery Syndicate Manager Complete
Lottery-Based Multiple Access
Lottie Moon Christmas Offering
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup