Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lumpen: Lumpen proletariat
lum·pen 1(lŭm′pən, lo͝om′-)
1. Of or relating to dispossessed, often displaced people who have been cut off from the socioeconomic class with which they would ordinarily be identified: lumpen intellectuals unable to find work in their fields.
2. Of or relating to the lumpenproletariat.
3. Vulgar or common; plebeian: "Popular novelists and their mass readership remain a despised lumpen minority" (Leslie Fiedler).
1. (used with a pl. verb) The lumpenproletariat.
2. (used with a sing. verb) A member of the lumpenproletariat.
[From German Lumpenproletariat, the lowest section of the proletariat; see lumpenproletariat.]
Having lumps or a lumpy appearance: "glancing with reluctant distaste at the shrouded, lumpen shape on the floor" (P.D. James).
informal stupid or unthinking
[from German Lump vagabond, influenced in meaning by Lumpen rag, as in lumpenproletariat]
lum•pen(ˈlʌm pən, ˈlʊm-)
1. of or pertaining to disfranchised and uprooted individuals or groups, esp. those who have lost status: the lumpen bourgeoisie.n.
2. a lumpen individual or group.
[1945–50; extracted from lumpenproletariat]