half-moon(redirected from lunule of nail)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The moon when only half its disk is illuminated.
2. Something that is shaped like a half circle or a crescent, such as the lunula of a fingernail.
1. (Astronomy) the moon at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated
2. (Astronomy) the time at which a half-moon occurs
a. something shaped like a half-moon
b. (as modifier): half-moon spectacles.
4. (Anatomy) anatomy a nontechnical name for lunula
1. the moon when, at either quadrature, half its disk is illuminated.
2. the phase of the moon at this time.
3. something having the shape of a half-moon or crescent.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||half-moon - the crescent-shaped area at the base of the human fingernail|
region, area - a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
nail - horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
|2.||half-moon - the time at which the Moon is at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated|
month - a time unit of approximately 30 days; "he was given a month to pay the bill"
phase of the moon - a time when the Moon presents a particular recurring appearance
first quarter - the first fourth of the Moon's period of revolution around the Earth
last quarter - the last fourth of the Moon's period of revolution around the Earth