lycopene


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lycopene: lutein

ly·co·pene

 (lī′kə-pēn′)
n.
A red carotenoid pigment, C40H56, found in plants such as tomatoes, watermelons, and papayas, and present in the blood and certain tissues of animals. It is used as a food coloring.

[Alteration of earlier lycopin : New Latin Lycop(ersicon), tomato genus (Greek lukos, wolf; see wl̥kwo- in Indo-European roots + Greek persikon, peach, from persikē, peach tree; see peach1) + -in.]

Lycopene

(ˈlaɪkəˌpiːn)
n
(Biochemistry) an acyclic carotenoid occuring in tomatoes and some other ripe fruit as a red pigment. As an antioxidant its consumption can reduce the risk of some cancers

ly•co•pene

(ˈlaɪ kəˌpin)

n.
a carotenoid red pigment that is abundant in various ripe fruits, as the tomato.
[1925–30; earlier lycopin < New Latin Lycop(ersicon) tomato genus]
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.lycopene - carotenoid that makes tomatoes red; may lower the risk of prostate cancer
carotenoid - any of a class of highly unsaturated yellow to red pigments occurring in plants and animals
Translations

ly·co·pene

n. licopina, pigmento vegetal muy abundante en tomates y zanahorias.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
One example is lycopene, a carotenoid pigment that lends certain plant foods their rosy coloring.
The 2016 Lycopene Industry Market Report' is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the global Lycopene industry with a focus on the Chinese market.
Tomato is the main source of lycopene with about 85% lycopene contents, in our daily foodstuff, comes from tomato and tomato products with remaining 15% are being availed from various other fruits and vegetables.
And the redder and riper the tomato, the more lycopene it contains, right?
Lycopene is a red carotenoid found mainly in tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables like watermelons, apricots, guava and papaya.
On June 9, 2014, PLOS One reported a benefit for lycopene in improving endothelial function in cardiovascular disease patients.
com)-- Processed meat manufacturers are now allowed to use tomato lycopene extract at a maximum of 50 mg/kg and to use tomato lycopene concentrate at a maximum of 100 mg/kg.
Then came the news that fresh tomatoes contain an important nutrient, lycopene, an antioxidant.
According to researcher,"the amount of lycopene in the diet of the women who consumed lycopene at the highest level in the study would be equal to eating four tomatoes daily,"health news reported.
One component of the Mediterranean diet thought to play a role in reducing this risk is lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which is ten times more potent than vitamin E.