lynx(redirected from lynxlike)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. lynx or lynx·es
1. Any of several wildcats of the genus Lynx, especially L. canadensis of northern North America or L. lynx of Eurasia, having soft thick fur, a black-tipped short tail, and tufted ears.
2. Lynx A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere, near Auriga and Gemini.
n, pl lynxes or lynx
1. (Animals) a feline mammal, Felis lynx (or canadensis), of Europe and North America, with grey-brown mottled fur, tufted ears, and a short tail.
2. (Textiles) the fur of this animal
3. (Animals) bay lynx another name for bobcat
4. (Animals) desert lynx another name for caracal
5. (Breeds) Also called: Polish lynx a large fancy pigeon from Poland, with spangled or laced markings
[C14: via Latin from Greek lunx; related to Old English lox, German Luchs]
n, Latin genitive Lyncis (ˈlɪnsɪs)
(Astronomy) a faint constellation in the N hemisphere lying between Ursa Major and Cancer
n., pl. lynx•es, (esp. collectively) lynx.
any of several wildcats of the genus Lynx, having long limbs, a short tail, and usu. tufted ears.
[1300–50; Middle English < Latin < Greek lýnx]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lynx - a text browser|
|2.||lynx - short-tailed wildcats with usually tufted ears; valued for their fur|
wildcat - any small or medium-sized cat resembling the domestic cat and living in the wild
genus Lynx - lynxes