Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A person venerated for spirituality and high-mindedness.
2. Mahatma Used as a title of respect for such a person.
n (sometimes capital)
1. (Hinduism) Hinduism a Brahman sage
2. (Other Non-Christian Religions) theosophy an adept or sage
[C19: from Sanskrit mahātman, from mahā great + ātman soul]
ma•hat•ma(məˈhɑt mə, -ˈhæt-)
n., pl. -mas. (sometimes cap.)
1. a Brahman sage.
2. (esp. in India) a person who is held in the highest esteem for wisdom and saintliness.
[1850–55; < Skt mahātmā, from mahātman high-souled =mahā- great + ātman atman]
A Sanskrit wordmeaning “great of soul,”given as a title to Gandhi by his Hindu followers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mahatma - (Hinduism) term of respect for a brahmin sage|
Hindooism, Hinduism - a body of religious and philosophical beliefs and cultural practices native to India and based on a caste system; it is characterized by a belief in reincarnation, by a belief in a supreme being of many forms and natures, by the view that opposing theories are aspects of one eternal truth, and by a desire for liberation from earthly evils
sage - a mentor in spiritual and philosophical topics who is renowned for profound wisdom