Malayan(redirected from malayanly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A member of a people inhabiting the Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago.
2. The Austronesian language of the Malays. Also called Bahasa Melayu.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Malays or their language.
2. Of or relating to Malaysia, the Malay Peninsula, or the Malay Archipelago.
[Obsolete Dutch Malayo, from Malay Melayu.]
Ma·lay′an (mə-lā′ən) adj. & n.
(Placename) of or relating to Malaya or its inhabitants
(Placename) a native or inhabitant of Malaya
1. of or pertaining to Malays, the Malay Peninsula, or the Malay Archipelago.n.
3. any native or inhabitant of the Malay states or the Federation of Malaya.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Malayan - a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago|
East India, East Indies, Malay Archipelago - a group of islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans between Asia and Australia
Malaya, Malaysia - a constitutional monarchy in southeastern Asia on Borneo and the Malay Peninsula; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1957
Malay Peninsula - a peninsula in southeastern Asia occupied by parts of Malaysia and Thailand and Myanmar
|Adj.||1.||Malayan - of or relating to or characteristic of Malaysia; "Malaysian police crack down hard on drug smugglers"; "Malayan crocodiles"|
|2.||Malayan - of or relating to or characteristic of the people or language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago; "Malay peoples"; "Malayan syllable structure"|