mamey(redirected from mameys)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. ma·meys
1. A tree (Mammea americana) of the West Indies and northern South America having glossy leaves, white fragrant flowers, and large edible brown fruit.
2. The fruit of this tree, having firm juicy yellow or orange flesh and toxic seeds. Also called mammee apple.
[Spanish, from Arawak or Taíno.]
1. (Plants) a tropical American tree, Mammea americana, cultivated for its large edible fruits: family Clusiaceae
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree, having yellow pulp and a red skin
3. (Plants) another name for the marmalade tree
[C16: from Spanish mamey, from Haitian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mamey - tropical American tree having edible fruit with a leathery rind|
mamey, mammee apple, mammee - globular or ovoid tropical fruit with thick russet leathery rind and juicy yellow or reddish flesh
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||mamey - globular or ovoid tropical fruit with thick russet leathery rind and juicy yellow or reddish flesh|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh