Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A making or giving of a mark.
b. A mark or marks made.
2. A mark or pattern of marks on an organism: a snake with colorful markings.
1. a mark or series of marks
2. (Biology) the arrangement of colours on an animal, plant, etc
3. (Education) assessment and correction of school children's or students' written work by teaching staff
1. a mark or marks.
2. a pattern of marks or colorations, as on a plant or animal.
3. the act of one that marks.
- pastry wheel, pastry jagger - A pastry wheel or pastry jagger is a handled tool with a thin sharp wheel, used for marking and cutting rolled-out dough.
- stocking - A white marking on the lower part of a horse's leg.
- on the dot - Probably a reference to the minute hand of the clock being exactly over the dot marking the given minute on the dial.
- hilum - The scar on a seed marking the point where it was attached to its seed vessel.
To maintain contact on a target from such a position that the marking unit has an immediate offensive capability.
Staying within playing distance of an opponent.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||marking - a distinguishing symbol; "the owner's mark was on all the sheep"|
earmark - identification mark on the ear of a domestic animal
brand - identification mark on skin, made by burning
symbol - an arbitrary sign (written or printed) that has acquired a conventional significance
trademark - a formally registered symbol identifying the manufacturer or distributor of a product
assay-mark, authentication, hallmark - a mark on an article of trade to indicate its origin and authenticity
postmark - a cancellation mark stamped on mail by postal officials; indicates the post office and date of mailing
watermark - a distinguishing mark impressed on paper during manufacture; visible when paper is held up to the light
broad arrow - an arrowhead mark identifying British government property
label - an identifying or descriptive marker that is attached to an object
cairn - a mound of stones piled up as a memorial or to mark a boundary or path
|2.||marking - a pattern of marks|
blaze - a light-colored marking; "they chipped off bark to mark the trail with blazes"; "the horse had a blaze between its eyes"
eyespot, ocellus - an eyelike marking (as on the wings of some butterflies); usually a spot of color inside a ring of another color
shading - graded markings that indicate light or shaded areas in a drawing or painting
maculation, patch, speckle, dapple, fleck, spot - a small contrasting part of something; "a bald spot"; "a leopard's spots"; "a patch of clouds"; "patches of thin ice"; "a fleck of red"
|3.||marking - evaluation of performance by assigning a grade or score; "what he disliked about teaching was all the grading he had to do"|
|4.||marking - the act of making a visible mark on a surface|
decoration - the act of decorating something (in the hope of making it more attractive)
lineation - the act of marking or outlining with lines
mottling - the act of coloring with areas of different shades
striping - the act of marking with stripes