Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to marmite: Bovril
1. A large covered earthenware or metal cooking pot.
2. A small, covered earthenware casserole.
[French, from Old French, hypocritical, marmite (possibly because the food is hidden inside) : marm-, akin to marmouser, to murmur + mite, cat (of imitative origin).]
1. (Cookery) a large cooking pot
2. (Cookery) soup cooked in such a pot
3. (Cookery) an individual covered casserole for serving soup
4. (Military) military US a container used to bring food to troops in the field
[from French: pot]
(Cookery) trademark Brit a yeast and vegetable extract used as a spread, flavouring, etc
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||marmite - soup cooked in a large pot |
soup - liquid food especially of meat or fish or vegetable stock often containing pieces of solid food
|2.||marmite - a large pot especially one with legs used e.g. for cooking soup|
pot - metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lid