Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to masking: Sound masking
1. Physiology The concealment or screening of one sensory process or sensation by another.
2. A piece of theatrical scenery used to conceal a part of the stage from the audience.
1. the act or practice of masking
2. (Psychology) psychol the process by which a stimulus (usually visual or auditory) is obscured by the presence of another almost simultaneous stimulus
mask•ing(ˈmæs kɪŋ, ˈmɑ skɪŋ)
2. obscuring or blocking one sensory process by another.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||masking - the act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it; "the cover concealed their guns from enemy aircraft"|
|2.||masking - the blocking of one sensation resulting from the presence of another sensation; "he studied auditory masking by pure tones"|
|3.||masking - scenery used to block the audience's view of parts of the stage that should not be seen|