Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A person who shows independence of thought and action, especially by refusing to adhere to the policies of a group to which he or she belongs.
2. An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
Characterized by or displaying independence of thought and action: maverick politicians; a maverick decision.
[Possibly after Samuel Augustus Maverick, (1803-1870), American cattleman who left the calves in his herd unbranded .]
1. (Agriculture) (in US and Canadian cattle-raising regions) an unbranded animal, esp a stray calf
a. a person of independent or unorthodox views
b. (as modifier): a maverick politician.
[C19: after Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), Texas rancher, who did not brand his cattle]
mav•er•ick(ˈmæv ər ɪk, ˈmæv rɪk)
1. an unbranded animal, esp. a motherless calf.
2. a person who takes a stand independent of others in a group.
[1865–70, Amer.; after Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), Texas pioneer who left his calves unbranded]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||maverick - someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action|
|2.||maverick - an unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it|
calf - young of domestic cattle
|Adj.||1.||maverick - independent in behavior or thought; "she led a somewhat irregular private life"; "maverick politicians"|
unconventional - not conforming to accepted rules or standards; "her unconventional dress and hair style"