Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to mawkish: mawkishly
1. Excessively and objectionably sentimental. See Synonyms at sentimental.
2. Archaic Having a sickening taste.
[From Middle English mawke, maggot, variant of magot; see maggot.]
1. falsely sentimental, esp in a weak or maudlin way
2. nauseating or insipid in flavour, smell, etc
[C17: from obsolete mawk maggot + -ish]
1. sentimental; maudlin.
2. mildly sickening in flavor.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||mawkish - effusively or insincerely emotional; "a bathetic novel"; "maudlin expressions of sympathy"; "mushy effusiveness"; "a schmaltzy song"; "sentimental soap operas"; "slushy poetry"|
hokey, kitschy, maudlin, schmaltzy, schmalzy, bathetic, sentimental, slushy, soppy, soupy, mushy, drippy
emotional - of more than usual emotion; "his behavior was highly emotional"