Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. means-test·ed, means-test·ing, means-tests
1. To apply a means test to or require a means test for (a governmental program, for example).
2. To subject to a means test: The board means-tests all applicants for rent control.
1. (Social Welfare) to subject (a person) to a means test
2. (Social Welfare) to make (a benefit) dependent on income
an investigation into a person's finances to determine eligibility for public assistance.
1. to subject (a person or a specific benefit) to a means test: The government proposes to means-test Medicare.v.i.
2. to perform a means test: fair and responsible means-testing.