Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to medial: Medial meniscus, Medial collateral ligament
1. Relating to, situated in, or extending toward the middle; median.
2. Linguistics Being a sound, syllable, or letter occurring between the initial and final positions in a word or morpheme.
3. Mathematics Being or relating to an average or a mean.
4. Average; ordinary.
1. A voiced stop, such as (b), (d), or (g). Also called media2.
2. A sound, letter, or form of a letter that is neither initial nor final.
1. of or situated in the middle
2. ordinary or average in size
3. (Mathematics) maths relating to an average
6. (Zoology) zoology of or relating to a media
(Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a speech sound between being fortis and lenis; media
[C16: from Late Latin mediālis, from medius middle]
me•di•al(ˈmi di əl)
1. in or pertaining to the middle.
2. pertaining to a mean or average; average.
3. (of a sound or letter) occurring within a word, syllable, or other linguistic unit, as the sounds (i) and (t) in city; not initial or final.n.
a. a medial sound or letter.
b. media 2 (def. 2) .
1. Toward the middle.
2. Toward the midline of the body.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||medial - dividing an animal into right and left halves|
mesial - being in or directed toward the midline or mesial plane of the body
|2.||medial - relating to or situated in or extending toward the middle|
central - in or near a center or constituting a center; the inner area; "a central position"