meerschaum(redirected from meerschaum pipe)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A fine, compact, usually white claylike mineral of hydrous magnesium silicate, H4Mg2Si3O10, found in the Mediterranean area and used in fashioning tobacco pipes and as a building stone. Also called sepiolite.
2. A tobacco pipe with a bowl made of this mineral.
1. (Minerals) Also called: sepiolite a white, yellowish, or pink compact earthy mineral consisting of hydrated magnesium silicate: used to make tobacco pipes and as a building stone. Formula: Mg2Si3O6(OH)4
2. (Recreational Drugs) a tobacco pipe having a bowl made of this mineral
[C18: German, literally: sea foam]
meer•schaum(ˈmɪər ʃəm, -ʃɔm)
1. a mineral, hydrous magnesium silicate, H4Mg2Si3O10, occurring in white, claylike masses, used esp. for pipe bowls; sepiolite.
2. a tobacco pipe with a bowl made of meerschaum.
[1775–85; < German Meerschaum, literally, sea foam]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||meerschaum - a white clayey mineral|
meerschaum - a pipe having a bowl made of meerschaum
mineral - solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition
|2.||meerschaum - a pipe having a bowl made of meerschaum|