meridional(redirected from meridionals)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to meridians or a meridian.
2. Located in the south; southern.
3. Of or characteristic of southern areas or people.
An inhabitant of a southern region, especially the south of France.
[Middle English, pertaining to the sun's position at noon, from Old French meridionel, southern, from Late Latin merīdiōnālis, from Latin merīdiānus, of midday, southern; see meridian.]
1. (Physical Geography) along, relating to, or resembling a meridian
2. (Physical Geography) characteristic of or located in the south, esp of Europe
(Peoples) an inhabitant of the south, esp of France
[C14: from Late Latin merīdiōnālis southern; see meridian; for form, compare septentriōnālis septentrional]
me•rid•i•o•nal(məˈrɪd i ə nl)
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a meridian.
2. characteristic of the south or of people inhabiting the south, esp. of France.
3. southern; southerly.n.
4. an inhabitant of the south, esp. the south of France.