methylate(redirected from methylates)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. meth·yl·at·ed, meth·yl·at·ing, meth·yl·ates
1. To introduce one or more methyl groups into (a molecule).
2. To mix or combine with methyl alcohol.
1. (Chemistry) (tr) to mix with methanol
2. (Chemistry) to undergo or cause to undergo a chemical reaction in which a methyl group is introduced into a molecule
(Elements & Compounds) another name for methoxide
n., v. -at•ed, -at•ing. n.
1. any derivative of methyl alcohol, as sodium methylate, CH3ONa.
2. any compound containing the methyl group.v.t.
3. (in a compound) to replace (one or more hydrogen atoms) with the methyl group.
4. to mix with methyl alcohol, as in the denaturation of ethyl alcohol.
Past participle: methylated