mildew(redirected from mildews)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various fungi or oomycetes that form a superficial, usually whitish growth on plants and various organic materials.
b. A plant disease caused by such organisms.
2. A superficial coating or discoloration of organic materials, such as cloth, paper, or leather, caused by fungi, especially under damp conditions.
tr. & intr.v. mil·dewed, mil·dew·ing, mil·dews
To affect or become affected with mildew.
[Middle English mildeu, from Old English mildēaw, honeydew, nectar; see melit- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Plant Pathology) any of various diseases of plants that affect mainly the leaves and are caused by parasitic fungi. See also downy mildew, powdery mildew
2. (Plant Pathology) any fungus causing this kind of disease
3. (Botany) another name for mould2
(Plant Pathology) to affect or become affected with mildew
[Old English mildēaw, from mil- honey (compare Latin mel, Greek mēli) + dēaw dew]
1. a disease of plants, characterized by a cottony, usu. whitish coating on the affected parts, caused by any of various fungi.
2. any of these fungi, esp. downy mildew or powdery mildew.
3. any similar coating or discoloration caused by fungi, as on fabrics, leather, etc., when exposed to moisture.v.t., v.i.
4. to affect or become affected with mildew.
[before 1000; Middle English: honeydew, mildew; Old English mildēaw=mil- honey (akin to Latin mel, Greek méli) + dēaw dew]
Any of various fungi that form a white or grayish coating on surfaces, such as plant leaves, cloth, or leather, especially under damp, warm conditions.
Past participle: mildewed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mildew - the process of becoming mildewed|
|2.||mildew - a fungus that produces a superficial (usually white) growth on organic matter|
powdery mildew - any of various fungi of the genus Erysiphe producing powdery conidia on the host surface
downy mildew, false mildew - any of various fungi of the family Peronosporaceae parasitic on e.g. grapes and potatoes and melons
fungus - an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter; ranging from unicellular or multicellular organisms to spore-bearing syncytia
|Verb||1.||mildew - become moldy; spoil due to humidity; "The furniture molded in the old house"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
smut - become affected with smut; "the corn smutted and could not be eaten"
dry-rot - affect or be affected with dry rot
mildew[ˈmɪldjuː] n → muffa
n. moho, añublo.