Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to milt: spleen
1. Fish sperm, including the seminal fluid.
2. The reproductive glands of male fishes when filled with this fluid.
tr.v. milt·ed, milt·ing, milts
To fertilize (fish roe) with milt.
[Middle English, spleen, milt, probably partly from Middle Dutch milte, spleen, milt, and partly from Old English milte, spleen; see mel-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Zoology) the testis of a fish
2. (Zoology) the spermatozoa and seminal fluid produced by a fish
3. (Zoology) rare the spleen of certain animals, esp fowls and pigs
(Zoology) to fertilize (the roe of a female fish) with milt, esp artificially
[Old English milte spleen; in the sense: fish sperm, probably from Middle Dutch milte]
1. the sperm-containing secretion of the testes of fishes.
2. the testes and sperm ducts when filled with this secretion.
3. melt 2.
[before 900; Middle English milte, milt, Old English milte spleen]
Fish sperm, together with the milky liquid that contains them.
Past participle: milted
Another name for the spleen, an organ meat sometimes eaten.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||milt - fish sperm or sperm-filled reproductive gland; having a creamy texture|
seafood - edible fish (broadly including freshwater fish) or shellfish or roe etc
|2.||milt - seminal fluid produced by male fish|
fish - any of various mostly cold-blooded aquatic vertebrates usually having scales and breathing through gills; "the shark is a large fish"; "in the living room there was a tank of colorful fish"