Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A school of abstract painting and sculpture that emphasizes extreme simplification of form, as by the use of basic shapes and monochromatic palettes of primary colors, objectivity, and anonymity of style. Also called ABC art, minimal art, reductivism, rejective art.
2. Use of the fewest and barest essentials or elements, as in the arts, literature, or design.
3. Music A style of music marked by extreme simplification of rhythms, patterns, and harmonies, prolonged chordal or melodic repetitions, and often a trancelike effect.
1. (Art Movements) another name for minimal art
2. (Music, other) a type of music based on simple elements and avoiding elaboration or embellishment
3. design or style in which the simplest and fewest elements are used to create the maximum effect
min•i•mal•ism(ˈmɪn ə məˌlɪz əm)
1. minimal art.
2. any style or method, as in literature, dance, or music, that is spare, simple, and often repetitious and impersonal in tone.