Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to monies: Moonies
A plural of money.
(Law) formal a plural of money
n., pl. mon•eys, mon•ies,
1. any circulating medium of exchange, including coins, paper money, and demand deposits.
2. paper money.
3. gold, silver, or other metal in pieces of convenient form stamped by public authority and issued as a medium of exchange and measure of value.
4. any article or substance used as a medium of exchange, means of payment, or measure of wealth.
5. a particular form or denomination of currency.
7. capital to be borrowed, loaned, or invested: mortgage money.
8. an amount or sum of money.
9. moneys or monies,Chiefly Law. pecuniary sums.adj.
10. of or pertaining to money.
11. used for holding or handling money: a money drawer.
12. of or pertaining to capital or finance: the money business.Idioms:
1. for my money, according to my opinion: For my money, she'd make a perfect president.
2. in the money, Informal.
a. financially successful; affluent.
b. finishing among the top winners, as of a race.
3. (right) on the money, Informal.
a. at just the exact spot or time; on target.
b. exhibiting or done with great accuracy or expertise.
[1250–1300; Middle English moneie < Middle French < Latin monēta; see mint2]