Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to monogamy: serial monogamy
1. The practice or condition of having a single sexual partner during a period of time.
a. The practice or condition of being married to only one person at a time.
b. The practice of marrying only once in a lifetime.
3. Zoology The condition of having only one mate during a breeding season or during the breeding life of a pair.
1. (Sociology) the state or practice of having only one husband or wife over a period of time. Compare bigamy, polygamy1, digamy
2. (Zoology) zoology the practice of having only one mate
[C17: via French from Late Latin monogamia, from Greek; see mono- + -gamy]
mo•nog•a•my(məˈnɒg ə mi)
1. the practice or condition of having only one spouse at a time. Compare bigamy, polygamy (def. 1).
2. Zool. the condition of having only one mate at a time.
3. the practice of marrying only once during life. Compare digamy.
the custom of marriage to one wife or one husband at a time. — monogamous, adj.See also: Marriage
A rule which permits men and women to have only one marriage partner at a time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monogamy - having only one spouse at a time |
marriage, matrimony, spousal relationship, wedlock, union - the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce); "a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
monogyny - having only one wife at a time
serial monogamy - a succession of short monogamous relationships (as by someone who undergoes multiple divorces)