Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to monophonic: heterophonic
1. Music Having a single melodic line.
2. Electronics Relating to a system of transmitting, recording, or reproducing sound in which one or more sources are connected to a single channel; monaural.
1. (Electronics) Also: monaural (of a system of broadcasting, recording, or reproducing sound) using only one channel between source and loudspeaker. Sometimes shortened to: mono Compare stereophonic
2. (Music, other) music of or relating to a style of musical composition consisting of a single melodic line. See also monody3
mon•o•phon•ic(ˌmɒn əˈfɒn ɪk)
1. of or pertaining to monophony.
2. of or noting a system of sound recording and reproduction using only a single channel.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||monophonic - designating sound transmission or recording or reproduction over a single channel|
electronics - the branch of physics that deals with the emission and effects of electrons and with the use of electronic devices
monaural - relating to or having or hearing with only one ear; "monaural deafness"
|2.||monophonic - consisting of a single melodic line|
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner