Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Mon·si·gnoralso mon·si·gnor (mŏn-sēn′yər)
n. Roman Catholic Church
1. A title conferred by the pope on a high-ranking male cleric, such as a protonotary apostolic.
2. A cleric holding such a title.
3. Abbr. Msgr. or Mgr. Used as a form of address prefixed to the name of such a cleric.
[Italian, from French Monseigneur; see Monseigneur.]
Mon′si·gnor′i·al (mŏn′sēn-yôr′ē-əl) adj.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) having the ecclesiastical title of a Monsignor
2. (Roman Catholic Church) of or relating to a Monsignor