Also found in: Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
mortar (background) and pestle (foreground)
1. A vessel in which substances are crushed or ground with a pestle.
2. A machine in which materials are ground and blended or crushed.
a. A portable, usually muzzleloading cannon used to fire shells at low velocities, short ranges, and high trajectories.
b. A shell fired by such a cannon.
c. Any of several similar devices, such as one that shoots life lines across a stretch of water.
d. A short, usually stationary, muzzleloading cannon used from the 1700s to early 1900s to fire large round shells at low velocities, short ranges, and high trajectories.
4. Any of various bonding materials used in masonry, surfacing, and plastering, especially a mixture of cement or lime, sand, and water that hardens in place and is used to bind together bricks or stones.
tr.v. mor·tared, mor·tar·ing, mor·tars
1. To bombard with mortar shells.
2. To plaster or join with mortar.
[Middle English morter, from Old English mortere and from Old French mortier, both from Latin mortārium; see mer- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Building) a mixture of cement or lime or both with sand and water, used as a bond between bricks or stones or as a covering on a wall
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a muzzle-loading cannon having a short barrel and relatively wide bore that fires low-velocity shells in high trajectories over a short range
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a similar device for firing lifelines, fireworks, etc
4. (Ceramics) a vessel, usually bowl-shaped, in which substances are pulverized with a pestle
5. (Mining & Quarrying) mining a cast-iron receptacle in which ore is crushed
6. (Building) to join (bricks or stones) or cover (a wall) with mortar
7. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) to fire on with mortars
8. Midland English to trample (on)
[C13: from Latin mortārium basin in which mortar is mixed; in some senses, via Old French mortier substance mixed inside such a vessel]
1. a bowl-shaped receptacle of hard material in which substances are pounded or ground with a pestle.
2. any of various mechanical appliances in which substances are pounded or ground.
3. a cannon very short in proportion to its bore, for throwing shells at high angles.
4. some similar device, as for throwing pyrotechnic bombs or a lifeline.
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English mortere and Old French mortier < Latin mortārium; in definitions 3,4 translation of French mortier < Latin, as above; see -ar2]
1. a mixture of lime or cement or a combination of both with sand and water, used as a bonding agent between bricks, stones, etc.v.t.
2. to plaster or fix with mortar.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Anglo-French; Old French mortier mortar1, hence the mixture produced in it]
Past participle: mortared
|Noun||1.||mortar - a muzzle-loading high-angle gun with a short barrel that fires shells at high elevations for a short range|
high-angle gun - a cannon that can be fired at a high elevation for relatively short ranges
|2.||mortar - used as a bond in masonry or for covering a wall|
building material - material used for constructing buildings
cement - a building material that is a powder made of a mixture of calcined limestone and clay; used with water and sand or gravel to make concrete and mortar
|3.||mortar - a bowl-shaped vessel in which substances can be ground and mixed with a pestle|
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids)
|Verb||1.||mortar - plaster with mortar; "mortar the wall"|
masonry - the craft of a mason
a mixture of cement, sand and water, used in building eg to hold bricks in place. messelstof مِلاط хоросан argamassa malta der Mörtel mørtel ασβεστοκονίαμα mortero ; argamasa mört ملات muurauslaasti mortier מֶלֶט खरल, खल्ला žbuka habarcs adukan semen hræra, steypublanda malta モルタル 모르타르 kalkių/cemento skiedinys java adunan simen metselspecie mørtel zaprawa murarska سږو ګډ مواد اود سمټو اوبو argamassa mortar строительный раствор malta malta malter murbruk ส่วนผสมของปูนขาวหรือซีเมนต์กับทรายและน้ำ harç 灰泥漿 вапняний розчин تعمیر کا مسالہ vữa 灰泥浆
a type of short gun for firing shells upwards, in close-range attacks. mortier مِدْفَع هاون минохвъргачка morteiro minomet der Granatwerfer mortér όλμος mortero mortiir خمپاره انداز kranaatinheitin mortier מַרגֶמָה मॉर्टर vrsta kratkometne puške mozsárágyú mortir sprengjuvarpa mortaio 臼砲 박격포 mortyra, minosvaidis mortīra mortar mortier bombekaster moździerz يو ډول ټوپك mortier миномёт mínomet možnar minobacač granatkastare ปืนสั้น havan topu 迫擊砲 мортира; міномет چوڑے دہانے کی چھوٹی توپ súng cối 迫击炮
a dish in which to grind substances, especially with a pestle. vysel هاون хаван almofariz hmoždíř, třecí miska der Mörser morter γουδί mortero ; almirez uhmer هاون داروسازى huhmare mortier מַכתֵש खरल मूसल posuda za mrvljenje mozsár cobek mortél, steytill mortaio 乳鉢 막자 사발, 분쇄기 grūstuvė, piesta miezeris cobek mortier ; vijzel morter moździerz د درملو جوړولو هاونګ mojar ступка mažiar možnar avan mortel ครก havan ; dibek 搗缽，磨臼 ступка کھرل cối giã 研钵，臼