Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms.
Related to mourningly: morning
v. mourned, mourn·ing, mourns
1. To feel or express grief or sorrow. See Synonyms at grieve.
2. To show grief for a death by conventional signs, as by wearing black clothes.
3. To make a low, indistinct, mournful sound. Used especially of a dove.
1. To feel or express deep regret for: mourned the wasted years.
2. To grieve over (someone who has died).
3. To utter sorrowfully.
[Middle English mornen, from Old English murnan, to be anxious, care about, yearn, mourn; see (s)mer- in Indo-European roots.]