Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to multiplier: multiplicand
1. One that multiplies: This old house is a multiplier of expenses.
2. Mathematics The number by which another number is multiplied. In 8 × 32, the multiplier is 8.
3. Physics A device, such as a phototube, used to enhance or increase an effect.
1. (Mathematics) a person or thing that multiplies
2. (Mathematics) the number by which another number, the multiplicand, is multiplied. See also multiplicand
3. (General Physics) physics any device or instrument, such as a photomultiplier, for increasing an effect
4. (Economics) economics
a. the ratio of the total change in income (resulting from successive rounds of spending) to an initial autonomous change in expenditure
b. (as modifier): multiplier effects.
mul•ti•pli•er(ˈmʌl təˌplaɪ ər)
1. a person or thing that multiplies.
2. a number by which another is multiplied.
3. Physics. a device for intensifying some effect.
The number by which another number is multiplied.
A ratio of changes of national income and employment to changes in expenditure.