Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. mu·nic·i·pal·i·ties
1. A political unit, such as a city, town, or village, incorporated for local self-government.
2. A body of officials appointed to manage the affairs of a local political unit.
n, pl -ties
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a city, town, or district enjoying some degree of local self-government
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the governing body of such a unit
mu•nic•i•pal•i•ty(myuˌnɪs əˈpæl ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. a city, town, village, or borough possessing corporate existence and usu. its own local government.
2. the governing body of such a district.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||municipality - an urban district having corporate status and powers of self-government|
administrative district, administrative division, territorial division - a district defined for administrative purposes
city, metropolis, urban center - a large and densely populated urban area; may include several independent administrative districts; "Ancient Troy was a great city"
town - an urban area with a fixed boundary that is smaller than a city; "they drive through town on their way to work"
ward - a district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
|2.||municipality - people living in a town or city having local self-government|
metropolis, city - people living in a large densely populated municipality; "the city voted for Republicans in 1994"