myotome(redirected from muscle plate)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A segmental mass of mesoderm in a vertebrate embryo that differentiates into skeletal muscle.
2. A muscle or group of muscles derived from one somite and innervated by a single segment of a spinal nerve.
3. A knife for dividing muscle during surgery.
1. (Zoology) any segment of embryonic mesoderm that develops into skeletal muscle in the adult
2. (Zoology) any of the segmentally arranged blocks of muscle in lower vertebrates such as fishes