Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A comedic play or movie in which dialogue is interspersed with songs, especially one with a focus on musical numbers and a simple plot.
1. (Theatre) a play or film, usually having a light romantic story, that consists of dialogue interspersed with singing and dancing
2. (Film) a play or film, usually having a light romantic story, that consists of dialogue interspersed with singing and dancing
3. (Theatre) such plays and films collectively
4. (Film) such plays and films collectively
2. the genre comprising musical comedy.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||musical comedy - a play or film whose action and dialogue is interspersed with singing and dancing|
motion picture, motion-picture show, movie, moving picture, moving-picture show, pic, film, picture show, flick, picture - a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement; "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location"
play - a theatrical performance of a drama; "the play lasted two hours"