Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Myrmidon: Achilles, Troy
1. Greek Mythology A member of a warlike Thessalian people who were ruled by Achilles and followed him on the expedition against Troy.
2. myrmidon A faithful follower who carries out orders without question.
[From Middle English Mirmidones, Myrmidons, from Latin Myrmidones, from Greek Murmidones.]
n, pl Myrmidons or Myrmidones (mɜːˈmɪdəˌniːz)
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth one of a race of people whom Zeus made from a nest of ants. They settled in Thessaly and were led against Troy by Achilles
2. (often not capital) a follower or henchman
Myr•mi•don(ˈmɜr mɪˌdɒn, -dn)
n., pl. Myr•mi•dons, Myr•mid•o•nes (mɜrˈmɪd nˌiz)
1. a member of a legendary people of Thessaly, devoted followers of Achilles in the Trojan War.
2. (l.c.) a person who executes without question or scruple a master's commands.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin Myrmidones (pl.) < Greek Myrmidónes]
a follower who obeys orders without question. — myrmidonian, adj.See also: Allegiance
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||myrmidon - a follower who carries out orders without question|
follower - a person who accepts the leadership of another
|2.||Myrmidon - (Greek mythology) a member of the warriors who followed Achilles on the expedition against Troy|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks