Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Of or relating to mysticism or mystics: mystic doctrines.
b. Deeply or mysteriously spiritual; mystical: mystic experiences.
c. Of or relating to religious mysteries or occult rites and practices.
2. Inspiring a sense of mystery or wonder: a painting of a mystic landscape.
One who practices or believes in mysticism or a given form of mysticism: Protestant mystics.
[Middle English mystik, from Latin mysticus, from Greek mustikos, from mustēs, initiate; see mystery1.]
(Alternative Belief Systems) a person who achieves mystical experience or an apprehension of divine mysteries
another word for mystical
[C14: via Latin from Greek mustikos, from mustēs mystery initiate; related to muein to initiate into sacred rites]
1. characterized by esoteric, otherworldly, or symbolic practices or content, as certain religious ceremonies and art.
2. involving mysteries known only to the initiated.
3. of occult character or significance.
4. involving mystics or mysticism.n.
5. a person who claims insight into mysteries transcending ordinary human knowledge, as by direct communication with the divine or immediate intuition in a state of spiritual ecstasy.
6. a person initiated into religious mysteries.
[1275–1325; Middle English mystik < Latin mysticus < Greek mystikós, derivative of mýst(ēs) an initiate into the mysteries]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mystic - someone who believes in the existence of realities beyond human comprehension|
quietist - a religious mystic who follows quietism
|Adj.||1.||mystic - having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"|
esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"
|2.||mystic - relating to or resembling mysticism; "mystical intuition"; "mystical theories about the securities market"|
|3.||mystic - relating to or characteristic of mysticism; "mystical religion"|