nadir(redirected from nadirs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to nadirs: zeniths
1. Astronomy A point on the celestial sphere directly below the observer, diametrically opposite the zenith.
2. The lowest point: the nadir of their fortunes.
1. (Astronomy) the point on the celestial sphere directly below an observer and diametrically opposite the zenith
2. the lowest or deepest point; depths: the nadir of despair.
[C14: from Old French, from Arabic nazīr as-samt, literally: opposite the zenith]
na•dir(ˈneɪ dər, -dɪər)
1. the point on the celestial sphere directly beneath a given position or observer and diametrically opposite the zenith.
2. the lowest point; point of greatest adversity or despair.
[1350–1400; Middle English « Arabic naẓīr over against, opposite to (the zenith)]
The point on the celestial sphere that is directly below the observer.
See also related terms for observer.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nadir - an extreme state of adversity; the lowest point of anything|
|2.||nadir - the point below the observer that is directly opposite the zenith on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected|
celestial point - a point in the heavens (on the celestial sphere)
celestial sphere, empyrean, firmament, heavens, vault of heaven, welkin, sphere - the apparent surface of the imaginary sphere on which celestial bodies appear to be projected
zenith - the point above the observer that is directly opposite the nadir on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected