Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to nail down: take place, bygones
left to right: common, finishing, ring, and roofing nails
1. A slim, pointed piece of metal hammered into material as a fastener.
a. A fingernail or toenail.
b. A claw or talon.
3. Something resembling a nail in shape, sharpness, or use.
4. A measure of length formerly used for cloth, equal to 1/16 yard (5.7 centimeters).
tr.v. nailed, nail·ing, nailsPhrasal Verb:
1. To fasten, join, or attach with or as if with a nail.
2. To cover, enclose, or shut by fastening with nails: nail up a window.
3. To keep fixed, motionless, or intent: Fear nailed me to my seat.
a. To stop and seize; catch: Police nailed the suspect.
b. To detect and expose: nailed the senator in a lie; nail corruption before it gets out of control.
a. To strike or bring down: nail a bird in flight; nail a running back.
b. To perform successfully or have noteworthy success in: nailed the dive; nailed the exam.
6. Baseball To put out (a base runner).
7. Vulgar Slang To have sexual intercourse with.
1. To discover or establish conclusively: nailed down the story by checking all the facts.
2. To win: nailed down another victory in the golf tournament.
3. To specify or fix: We were finally able to nail down a meeting time.
vb (tr, adverb)
1. to fasten down with or as if with nails
2. informal to extort a definite promise or consent from: I nailed him down on the deadline.
3. informal to settle in a definite way: they nailed down the agreement.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||nail down - succeed in obtaining a position; "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"|
|2.||nail down - define clearly; "I cannot narrow down the rules for this game"|
determine - fix in scope; fix the boundaries of; "the tree determines the border of the property"
concretize - make something concrete
|3.||nail down - make final; put the last touches on; put into final form; "let's finalize the proposal"|