Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to nano-: Nano-technology
1. often nanno- Extremely small: nannoplankton.
2. One billionth (10-9): nanosecond.
[Greek nānos, nannos, little old man, dwarf, from nannās, uncle.]
1. (Units) denoting 10–9: nanosecond. Symbol: n
2. indicating extreme smallness: nanoplankton.
[from Latin nānus dwarf, from Greek nanos]
a combining form with the meaning “very small, minute” (nanoplankton; nanotube); in the names of units of measure it has the specific sense “one billionth,” or 10−9 (nanomole; nanosecond), and can refer specifically to a scale measured in nanometers (nanotechnology).Also, nanno-.
[comb. form representing Greek nânos, nánnos dwarf]
1. A prefix that means:
2. One billionth, as in nanosecond, one billionth of a second.
3. Very small or at a microscopic level, as in nanotube.
A prefix meaning one billionth (10-9). 1 nanometer = 1 billionth of a meter.