navel(redirected from navels)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to navels: Novels
1. The mark on the surface of the abdomen of mammals where the umbilical cord was attached during gestation. Also called umbilicus.
2. A central point; a middle.
1. (Anatomy) the scar in the centre of the abdomen, usually forming a slight depression, where the umbilical cord was attached. Technical name: umbilicus
2. a central part, location, or point; middle
3. (Cookery) short for navel orange
[Old English nafela; related to Old Frisian navla, Old High German nabulo (German Nabel), Latin umbilīcus]
1. the depression in the surface of the abdomen where the umbilical cord was connected with the fetus; umbilicus.
2. the central point of any thing or place.
[before 900; Old English nafela, c. Old High German nabalo, Old Norse nafli; akin to Latin umbilīcus, Greek omphalós, Skt nābhīla]
- omphalos - From the Greek word meaning "navel"—for the round stone in the temple of Apollo at Delphi supposed to mark the center of the earth—it describes the center, heart, or hub of a place, organization, or sphere of activity.
- omphaloskepsis - Contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation.
- navel, umbilicus, belly button, omphalodium - The navel is also the umbilicus, belly button, or omphalodium; navel and umbilicus share the same Indo-European root.
- umbilical - From Latin umbilicus, "navel."
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||navel - a scar where the umbilical cord was attached; "you were not supposed to show your navel on television"; "they argued whether or not Adam had a navel"; "she had a tattoo just above her bellybutton"|
abdomen, belly, stomach, venter - the region of the body of a vertebrate between the thorax and the pelvis
point - the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
|2.||navel - the center point or middle of something; "the Incas believed that Cuzco was the navel of the universe"|
1. bellybutton (informal), tummy button (informal) A small incision is made just below the navel.
navel[ˈneɪvəl] N → ombligo m
navel[ˈneɪv/əl] n → ombelico
the small hollow in the front of the abdomen, just below the middle of the waist. nawel, nael سُرَّه пъп umbigo pupík der Nabel navle αφαλόςombligo naba میان napa nombrilטבור नाभि pupak köldök pusar nafli ombelico へそ 배꼽 bamba naba pusat navelnavlepępek ملا،كمر umbigo buric пупок pupok popek pupak navel สะดือ göbek 肚臍 пупок, пуп ناف rốn 肚脐
navel→ سُرَّةٌ pupek navle Nabel ομφαλός ombligo napa nombril pupak ombelico へそ 배꼽 navel navle pępek umbigo пупок navel สะดือ göbek rốn 肚脐